–the European Lyme disease skin condition was described in Germany.
– A researcher stored mice in a Massachusetts museum. About 100 years later, Bb bacteria were found on the mouse pelts.
– Polly Murray in Old Lyme, Connecticut began documenting symptoms in her family of what later became known as Lyme disease.
– A doctor in Germany reported that, although most Lyme disease is caused by ticks,
about 10% of patients were getting the disease from horseflies.
– Polly Murray contacted Yale to report illness in her family and neighbors in Lyme and Old Lyme, Connecticut.
– While examining ticks, Willy Burgdorfer discovered the Borrelia burgdorferi bacteria that causes Lyme disease.