Lyme disease is caused by a bacterium called a spirochete, closely related to the spirochete that causes syphilis.
- Are treated with antibiotics.
- Have similar symptoms.
- Have an early stage and a late stage.
- Can cause arthritis, movement disorders, psychiatric illness, heart problems, and blindness.
- Are called “the great imitator” because they imitate many other diseases.
- Cause a Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction when treatment begins.
- Can cause miscarriages, stillbirths, and children born with the illness.